MEMBERSHIP IN THE VFW    Follow this link to the Veterans Of Foreign Wars Eligibility Worksheet.

On October 9, 2005, the National Council of Administration approved an amendment to Section 101 of the VFW Manual of Procedure to include the Afghanistan Campaign Medal (ACM), the Iraq Campaign Medal (ICM), the Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border (AFESR w/GB), the Combat Action Badge (CAB), and the SSBN Nuclear Deterrent Patrol Breast Insignia.

Senate Approves Changes
in VFW Membership Qualifications
Opens Door to Hostile Fire and
Imminent Danger Pay Recipients

Kansas City, MO, Oct. 4, 2002-Yesterday, the Senate unanimously approved the VFW Charter Bill HR 3838 that extends VFW membership to service members who receive hostile fire or imminent danger pay.

The House already approved the legislation, clearing it for the president's desk, which VFW officials expect the president to sign. Representatives Chris Smith and Lane Evans introduced the bill, with support from Representatives George Gekas and James Sensenbrenner, as well as Senators Charles Schumer and Patrick Leahy.

"This is a monumental decision for our organization," said VFW Commander-in-Chief Ray Sisk. "Our grass-roots efforts have paid off, and our organization will be better off because of this new legislation."


The objects of the Veterans of Foreign Wars are fraternal, patriotic, historical and educational; to preserve and strengthen comradeship among it's members; to assist worthy comrades; To perpetuate the memory and history of our dead, and to assist their widows and orphans; to maintain true allegiance to the Government of the United States of America, and fidelity to it's constitution and laws; to foster true patriotism; to maintain and extend the institutions of American freedom; and to preserve and defend the United States from all her enemies, whomsoever.

Checking eligibility

Checking eligibility is comparatively simple. Assuming that a person is a United States citizen and has an honorable discharge from the U.S. Armed Forces, it only remains to be proven that the person served outside the continental limits of the U.S. and has earned a campaign or service medal recognized by the VFW as meeting the campaign medal requisite for VFW Membership. (The only exception is for service in Korea after June 30, 1949, until present.)

Discharges issued during and immediately after the close of World War II have a section on the back listing the medals and decorations which have been earned. Persons discharged later received a DD-214, "Report of Separation" form, which has a space showing medals and decorations. Lost separation documents can be replaced by completing and submitting GSA Standard Form 180, "Request Pertaining to Military Records.

There is always a possibility of an omission on the separation documents. If an applicant claims entitlement to a medal which is not shown on the individual's separation papers, that person may request verification and correction of records by submitting a GSA Standard Form 180.

The GSA Standard Form 180 is available from any office of the Veterans Administration or state Veterans Departments. The form must be completed and signed by the veteran in order to receive the information requested or authorize the release of the information to the Veterans of Foreign Wars.


VFW eligibility listing chart is used as a guide in determining eligibility for membership, and is furnished as a matter of information concerning the periods during which campaign and/or service medals were authorized.

Campaign medals, and the periods for which issued, have been authorized by the United States of America, and the holder of any such medal or medals is recognized as possessing the campaign medal requisite of eligibility. Check this link to confirm VFW Eligibility

Life Membership Card
Never pay Dues Again!
Get Yours Today!

If you Rate one of these Campaign Ribbons, or Badges, you Belong in the Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States

Follow this link to the Veterans Of Foreign Wars Eligibility Worksheet.